Legal Assistant: Hyacinth Edwards (780-421-2426)
Admitted to Bar
Queen’s Counsel, 1990
1965 B.A.(Economics) – University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
1968 J.D. – Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
2003 LL.M. (Securities) – York University, Toronto, Ontario
- Public share offerings and exemptions
- Incorporations and Corporate Reorganizations
- Shareholder Agreements and Partnership Agreements
- Employment Law and Wrongful Dismissals
- Real Estate sales, purchases, and mortgages
- Business Mergers, Sales, and Acquisitions
- Shareholder Disputes
- Commercial and Contract Disputes
- Builders’ Liens and Construction Disputes
- Intellectual Property – Trademarks
- Wills, Enduring Powers of Attorney, Personal Directives, and Estate Planning
- Estate Probate and Administration
After admission to the Bar, Larry was first engaged in the private practice of law in Ottawa, Ontario. He then Practiced corporate, commercial, and business law as Vice-President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary with an international real estate developer and later, with an international pipeline and heavy construction company based in Edmonton, Alberta. He returned to the private practice of law in Edmonton in 1982.
Throughout his career, Larry has been engaged in corporate and commercial law. As in-house corporate counsel, Larry took a practical approach to law and developed strategies to accomplish his clients’ objectives and contribute to their success. He continues to help clients in financing their operations, selling and purchasing businesses and real estate, negotiating construction contracts and resolving disputes, enforcing builders’ liens, obtaining public financing, listing shares on stock exchanges, and completing corporate re-organizations, mergers, and acquisitions.
- overseeing and pursuing to satisfactory conclusion through negotiation, Court, and arbitration proceedings, major construction claims against the US Department of Energy and BC Hydro;
- advising on the formation, negotiation and management of multi-million dollar joint venture construction agreements;
- reviewing, negotiating, and advising on the risks of multi-million dollar construction tenders and proposals;
- advising the corporation and the Board of Directors on acceptable practices in international transactions and compliance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act;
- negotiating and administering operating lines of credit with both US and Canadian bankers in particularly trying times.
- trade-mark registrations and opposition proceedings;
- public and private offerings of securities through prospectuses and confidential memorandums;
- shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements and disputes;
- employment contracts and wrongful dismissal claims;
- share and asset purchase and sale agreements;
- negotiation of commercial and retail leases;
- builders liens, construction and contract disputes, foreclosures and collections.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Edmonton Bar Association – served as President
- Canadian Bar Association (Alberta Branch) – served as Chair of Business Law and Securities Sections
Volunteer and Community Involvement
- Past President of both provincial and federal constituency associations.
- Served as member of the Advisory Committee of the Alberta Securities Commission
- Served for seven years as Edmonton Chapter Secretary of the Mortgage Loans Association of Alberta
- Served as a Member of the Board of the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce
- Distinguished Toastmaster status in Toastmasters International
- Frequent Speaker and Lecturer for various organizations on a variety of legal topics, including “Going Public” and “Directors and Officers Liabilities – Corporate Governance” for the Institute of Chartered Accountants, as well as the “Collection of Receivables” for the Credit Institute of Canada and the Credit Association of Edmonton.